Network Management Software: Overview and Top 5 Examples
Who Uses Network Management Software?
IT professionals and organizations of all sizes depend heavily on network management software. This powerful tool helps ensure the smooth operation of a company’s IT infrastructure, which is essential to maintaining business operations. Network management software helps detect and diagnose faults, monitor network traffic, and optimize network performance.
Benefits of Network Management Software
The use of network management software provides many benefits, including:
- Improved efficiency: Network management software helps streamline IT operations.
- Enhanced security: It allows IT professionals to monitor network traffic and detect potential threats.
- Cost savings: Network management software can help reduce downtime and the need for manual network monitoring and management.
- Scalability: It can be used to manage networks of any size, from small businesses to large enterprises.
Features of Network Management Software
Network management software comes with a range of features that allow IT professionals to monitor and manage their networks effectively. Some standard features include:
- Network discovery: The software automatically discovers all devices connected to a network, including switches, routers, and servers.
- Device monitoring: It provides real-time insights into the performance of devices on the network, including CPU usage, memory, and disk space.
- Bandwidth monitoring: The software allows IT professionals to monitor network bandwidth usage to identify potential problems and optimize performance.
- Alert notifications: Network management software sends alerts to IT professionals when issues arise.
- Reporting: It comes with a range of reporting tools to help IT professionals gain insights into network performance over time.
- Configuration management: The software allows IT professionals to manage network configurations and ensure consistency across the network.
Top 5 Examples of Network Management Software
- Spiceworks Network Management Software (spiceworks.com)
Spiceworks is a free and cloud-hosted network management software that includes inventory management, network monitoring, and help desk functionality. Users can monitor network devices and receive alerts when issues arise. They can also use it to manage licenses, warranties, and vendor contacts. The software’s help desk functionality allows users to manage support tickets, manage customer support contracts, and track support technician time.
- SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor (solarwinds.com)
SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor is a powerful yet straightforward network management solution. It includes features such as network discovery, device monitoring, and bandwidth monitoring, as well as alert notifications and reporting tools. Its intuitive interface allows users to quickly identify and troubleshoot network issues, making it an ideal solution for organizations of all sizes.
- Zabbix Network Monitoring Software (zabbix.com)
Zabbix is an open-source and self-hosted network monitoring solution that is ideal for small to medium-sized businesses. It provides network discovery, device monitoring, and alert notifications, as well as a range of reporting tools. It’s highly scalable and can be used to monitor thousands of devices across multiple locations.
- PRTG Network Monitor (paessler.com)
PRTG Network Monitor is a comprehensive network management solution that includes device monitoring, bandwidth monitoring, and alert notifications. It’s highly customizable, allowing users to create their dashboard with the information they need. It’s also highly scalable and can monitor networks of any size.
- ManageEngine OpManager (manageengine.com)
ManageEngine OpManager is a powerful network management software that includes network discovery, device monitoring, and bandwidth monitoring capabilities. Users can also configure and automate workflows to improve efficiency and reduce downtime. It’s highly scalable and can monitor networks of any size.
How to Use Network Management Software
Getting started with network management software varies depending on the solution chosen. Most software solutions require users to download and install software on their network servers or personal computers. Once installed, users must configure the software to suit their network infrastructure. After configuration, users can monitor their network devices, receive alerts, and generate reports. Some software solutions offer training and support to help new users become familiar with their software.
Drawbacks and Limitations of Network Management Software
While network management software provides many benefits, it also has some limitations. One significant limitation is that it can be challenging to set up and configure, especially for users who are not IT professionals. They also require regular updates to keep up with changing network infrastructure. Some software solutions also come with a steep learning curve, making it challenging for new users to become proficient. Additionally, network management software may come with a high cost, depending on the solution chosen.
Network management software is a powerful tool for IT professionals who need to monitor and manage their networks effectively. It provides many benefits, including improved efficiency, enhanced security, cost savings, and scalability. Standard features include network discovery, device monitoring, and bandwidth monitoring, among others. While there are many network management software solutions available, the top five examples discussed in this article are a great place to start for small to medium-sized businesses.